As your dental experts in Temecula, we think of October as a month for cozying back into comfy routines. The kids have settled into school by now; fresh seasons of favorite TV series brighten dark evening hours; National Dental Hygiene Month is in full swing…Wait. What’s this about “Dental Hygiene Month?”
Your Oral Hygiene Routine
You know how sometimes you end up at work, but you can’t actually remember how you got there? It’s a little scary to think how inattentive we get in certain routines. What about your oral health routine?
- dash into the bathroom, spin your toothbrush over most of your teeth and call it “good enough?”
- floss just when a pesky piece of steak has become uncomfortably wedged between teeth?
- visit the dentist only if one of your teeth is making a nuisance of itself?
Brush and Pick-Out Bad Habits
October’s National Dental Hygiene Month is all about improving our family’s oral health habits. Not only will it later save in the pain department, but the payment one as well.
Tips on Teeth-brushing:
- Kids: Let them pick a Spiderman or Dora the Explorer toothbrush if that’s what will keep them brushing. Providing the bristles are soft, you replace it when they fray, and supervise the technique—Awesome! Hint: Not many kids like minty toothpaste, so find a kid-friendly flavor.
- Adults: Gently brush at a 45-degree angle to your gum line for two minutes, twice daily with a soft toothbrush. This detaches sticky bacteria-laden plaque before it hardens or bores into enamel. Replace your toothbrush every three months since microbes on the bristles and handle build and can transfer. It helps in cutting down on colds, infections, and cold sores.
Tips on Flossing:
- Kids: Floss picks come in different fun colors and flavors. Help children understand that sliding it carefully down and up the edge of each tooth rids it of smelly ick.
- Adults: A toothbrush simply can’t reach those tight areas between teeth, but bacteria can! Flossing needs to be done daily and gently. Find floss that feels comfortable in design, thickness, and flavor to you.
Tips for Dental Visits:
- Kids: Start dental check-ups early! Our dental team can then ensure everything is on track and whether dental sealants are needed to prolong the life of vulnerable areas.
- Adults: Every six months a check-up and professional cleaning will work wonders in preventing cavities and infections from taking hold. This proactive investment will pay off exponentially as it can help prevent more costly procedures such as root canals, dental implants, and crowns.
You Gotta Clean ‘Em to Keep ‘Em!
You’ve discovered some time saving techniques in life no doubt, like DVR for cutting commercials, or drive-thrus—but DON’T shortcut your oral health regime!
Kick-start an improved oral health routine during National Dental Hygiene Month and make your appointment to visit Dr. Skidmore at our dental office in Temecula today.
Do you think chewing sugar-free gum after each meal really helps teeth stay healthy? What about rinsing with mouthwash? Are these just smell-good gimmicks? Share your opinion with us!